Monday 7 July 2014

Project Confusion

After getting into the mindset of spending the next 12 months teaching in Mthatha I got a phone call from Project Trust to say they had mixed up my project. At first it was shock and I didn't know what to think but after reading up on my new project I can't wait to go!

My projects have basically gone from one extreme to another...

Underberg School is nestled in the majestic foothills of the Drakensburg Mountains of South Africa. The town has a sleepy feel to it and is rural but certainly doesn’t fit into the typical picture of ‘rural Africa.’ The picturesque mountains and cooler climate combined with a small town with relatively good amenities give Underberg a very different feel to what you may expect from South Africa.


My primary role will be within Underberg Primary School working directly with the children. As well as helping with literacy in the younger years, I will have the opportunity to assist in the sports programme as well as with any other extra-curricular activities. The school also has a mastery unit which has been set up to address the varied academic needs of students with learning difficulties or in more need of support. Finally, I will be staying in the school hostel; a residential unit for 38 pupils, where my partner and I will immerse ourselves in the day to day running of this unit.

Although very different from my first placement, I can safely say I am extremely looking forward to spending the next year of my life in the Drakensburg Mountains.

49 days to go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment