Tuesday 13 May 2014

Mthatha...Soon to be my new home

After travelling up to the Isle of Coll for Selection last year, I have finally found out the exact details about my project and I couldn't be more excited!

Starting at the end of August, this year, I will be spending 12 months in Mthatha, in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, volunteering at Thembelihle Children's Home. Thembelihle is a place of safety for about 25 children aged from five to fifteen in the bustling city of Mthatha. The residents at Thembelihle have been moved to this protective environment, because they have been abused or are at risk of abuse and stay in the while court cases are being processed.

As Thembelihle is a residential placement there is a large element of social care involved but my primary work will be as a teacher, working with my partner in one room with limited resources. We will use our creativity to provide basic education to a broad curriculum during the day; we will also be involved with entertaining the children outside of school hours. Down to the fact that the children staying at Thembelihle come from difficult backgrounds, having patience and a gentle manner will be key!

Finally, the home has a relaxed, warm feel to it and I simply can't wait to call it my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment